Existing shared owners

Antisocial behaviour

What can I do if I have a dispute with my neighbour?

It is always best to try to sort out difficulties or disagreements between yourselves, and as early as possible to avoid them becoming serious disputes.

Noisy neighbours are disturbing me – what can I do?

Disturbance by noise is probably the most common complaint, particularly from residents living in flats. If you find you are regularly disturbed by noise, have a word with your neighbour first, and politely ask them to keep the noise down. Often people do not realise how much noise they are making.

If the noise or nuisance persists, there may be legal steps open to you

If the nuisance is being caused by a Yarlington tenant we may be able assist. Our Community Safety Team may ask your neighbour to refrain from making the noise and may attempt to mediate between you.  YHG will always work with both parties to avoid legal action being necessary, legal action is considered a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

You can complain to the Council’s Environmental Health Department. If they are satisfied there is a nuisance, they will serve a notice on the person, ordering the nuisance to be stopped within a specified time. If the problem persists, the Council can take proceedings in the magistrates’ court.

You can make a complaint direct to the Clerk of the local Magistrates’ Court (under Section 59 of the Control of Pollution Act). If the court is satisfied that there is a nuisance, it can order the person responsible to stop or reduce the noise.

You can apply for an injunction in the County Court if you can prove your health; comfort and convenience have been seriously affected. It is advised to take legal advice before doing so. If you think criminal activity has been  involved, you should contact the police.

Please have regard for your neighbour’s well-being and keep noise to a minimum. You are particularly requested not to play or allow anyone else in your property to play the television, or audio equipment so loudly that it causes a nuisance or annoyance to your neighbours.

Noise from inside your home should be kept to a minimum, and definitely not be heard outside between 11.00pm and 7.30am.

I am being harassed – what can I do?

We believe that everyone has a right to live safely and peacefully where they choose. We are concerned about the growing number of people suffering all sorts of harassment.

Harassment can take many forms, including:

  • Broken windows
  • Offensive/racist graffiti
  • Verbal, emotional or physical abuse

If you experience any of these, or are aware it is happening to someone in your area, please contact us by logging on to your My Yarlington account and accessing the webchat facility. We can offer advice on how to deal with the problem. You may want to consider contacting the Police so that they can take action.

Contact our sales team on 0800 145 6663